It's no secret that we're big wine fans here at Bauhaus, and our owner, Uwe, always keeps us on top of the latest industry news. Today, he's sharing some new stats!
In 2016, the world spent €29 billion euros on wine... up 61% since 2009. That's more than $43 billion CAD!
Andorra and the Vatican are the biggest per-person wine consumers in the world, with over 55 litres per person per year, followed by France at 43 litres, Italy at 34 litres, Germany at 25 litres, USA with only 10 litres a person, and Canada with just 8 litres.
Spain has the most land dedicated to the making of wine with 975,000 hectares, followed by China in second place with 847,000. France is third with 785,000, followed up by Germany with 102,000, and Canada with under 40,000
However, when it comes to wine production, Italy is the biggest wine producer with 51 million hectolitres per year (that's a lot of wine bottles!). France follows with 44 million hectolitres, Spain with 38 million, China with 11 million, Germany with only 9 million, and Canada with less than 5 million hectolitres
The world's top wines are getting more and more expensive. The highest auction result was a Chateau Lafite-Rothschild from 1869, sold for €193,000.
Today, 51.8% of women are wine-drinkers, 48.2% drink wine, and 41% of winos are over 60 years old.
Only 8% of wine is bought in wine stores, with the remaining 92% bought in supermarkets and discounters. This should be a message for a change in our wine laws here in Canada!